Get paid to sing and learn
Berkshire Choral International offers a competitive apprentice program for professional-track undergraduate and graduate students. It’s an opportunity for singers, accompanists, and choral conductors (all must sing) to intensively study and rehearse major orchestral works with eminent conductors.
This PAGE will be updated for 2018 in the fall.
- Five hours of choral rehearsals each day
- Classes taught by our professional music staff
- Private lessons and coaching
- Master classes with soloists and BCI conductors
- Group recitals
- Participation in Saturday night concerts
We will also be taking apprentices to Asheville, NC, (June 4-11, 2017) and to Budapest, Hungary (August 6-13, 2017). You may apply for all venues.
As a singer apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll enjoy several vocal master classes with our guest soloists.
As a conducting apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll have weekly opportunities to lead small ensembles of choristers in the afternoons.
As an accompanist apprentice at our Sheffield campus, you’ll have weekly opportunities to play for sectional rehearsals, small ensemble rehearsals, apprentice recitals, and apprentice master classes.
In non-Sheffield venues, apprentices have the same opportunities for master classes.though classes are not held as frequently as in Sheffield.
Room, board, and stipend
As an apprentice in Sheffield, you’ll receive room and board, a stipend of $200 per week, and all the vocal scores. In return, you’ll be required to assist in various ways, including facilitating rehearsals for the soloists, conductors, and orchestra and assisting staff on registration days. You’ll have one day off each week.
Application deadline: March 1
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter indicating the venue for which you are applying (you may apply for more than one venue)
- Resume that includes date of birth, musical and educational accomplishments, information about general interests, and computer competency level
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or coach
- MP3 file or CD of three contrasting art songs or arias, sung in two languages
- Conductors and accompanists must also submit visual and aural representations of their work
Electronic submissions are preferred.
Please submit your materials to Chorister Services Director Cynthia Pease: email@example.com Before sending large files, please contact Ms. Pease at 413-229-1254 so she can assure that your submission is received properly.
Berkshire Choral International
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257